Tea has healing properties

Tea is 98% water. The other 2% are compounds from within the leaf. The unique combination of L-theanine and caffeine found in tea, make it a great hydrant and an alternative to coffee and soda, especially when looking for a jump-start to the day, or a way to maintain concentration for long hours of work.

Tea's origin story is infused with a blend of myth and fact and colored by ancient concepts of spirituality and philosophy. From Chinese Emperors to Portuguese princesses, the history of tea is as rich as its taste. The earliest references to drinking tea originate from China where legend has it that in 2737 B.C.E. Emperor Shen Nong, a skilled ruler and scientist, accidentally discovered tea. While boiling water in the garden, a leaf from an overhanging wild tea tree drifted into his pot. The Emperor enjoyed drinking the infused water so much that he was compelled to research the plant further. Legend has it that the Emperor discovered tea's medicinal properties during his research.

Antioxidants found in tea account for up to 42% of the dry weight of brewed green tea, and the amino acid L-theanine makes up around 3%. Caffeine makes up to 5% of the dry weight of green tea. The combination is thought to make people feel calmer and improve alertness, and cognition.

“Tea is the elixir of life.” – Lao Tzu

For a millennia tea was a medicinal beverage obtained by boiling fresh leaves in water, but around the 3rd century CE it became a daily drink. It has been found that tea helps people to recover more quickly from a stress than any other beverage. Saliva levels of the stress hormone cortisol dropped to 53% of baseline levels within 50 minutes of drinking tea. Researchers are discovering how the ingredients in a cup of tea can lift mood, improve focus and perhaps even ward off depression.